Here's a link to the recipe: http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/09/07/pinoy-street-food-orange-egg-tokneneng-qwek-kwek-kwek-recipe/. These guys have tons of great looking recipes, so please check out their blog.
Kwek-Kwek (courtesy of panlasangpinoy.com)
- 12 to 18 pieces boiled quail eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp anatto powder (pinulbos na atsuete)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Place the cornstarch in a container and dredge the boiled quail eggs. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper then mix thoroughly.
- Dilute the anatto powder in warm water then pour-in the mixing bowl with the other ingredients. Mix well.
- Place all the quail eggs in the mixing bowl and coat with the batter.
- Heat the pan and pour the cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, deep-fry the quail eggs by scooping them from the mixing bowl using a spoon. Make sure that each is coated with batter.
- After a few minutes, remove the fried quail eggs from the pan and place in a serving plate.
- Serve with vinegar or fish ball sauce while still crispy.
- Share and Enjoy!